St. Lucy's day
St. Lucy is my patron saint for Confirmation. My maternal grandma was my Confirmation sponsor. (I sure do miss her. She was the first family member whose funeral I attended.) I selected the name Lucy because she is the patron saint of eyesight, her name means "light," and my kindergarten teacher from the Bronx YMYWHA was a beautiful person whose name was Lucy. I wonder how she is today.
I started the day off by attending Mass at St. Paul's Cathedral. Dad was there, for the television ministry; Fr. Tom said the Mass; Sr. Marietta was the reader; Don provided the music ministry; and John was one of the Eucharistic ministers. I saw some of my friends there, too. After Mass, I watched the man change the candles for fresh candles. While trying to decide which candle to light, Dad said, "Light that one. It is beautiful." So I did, and I said a prayer. One of the best things about Church (which I have appreciated since a child) is lighting candles. You can depend on your prayers rising up like the fine, thin trails of smoke up to Heaven.
After work and dinner I went to a concert by Oakland Catholic and Central Catholic High Schools. The program included some instrumental pieces by the woodwind ensemble, a violin/piano piece, and an alto sax piece. The choral groups performed, including medleys of Christmas music, the Carol of the Bells, the Holly and the Ivy, and O, how a Rose e'er Blooming.
My building's Holiday party was next, and I caught up with friends in my building whom I haven't seen for a while. I also met up with some of the newer residents whom I haven't had a chance to talk with much.
Labels: celebration, children, Choir, Christmas, Church, diocese of Pittsburgh, light, prayer, St. Lucy, St. Paul Cathedral, teaching

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home