Poetry/Poextry Reading
Yesterday I attended a poetry reading at the Squirrel Hill branch of the library. Parsec conducted the reading, and mostly poextry was read by Ann Cecil, Eric Davin, Kevin Hayes, Randy Hoffman, Barton Paul Levenson, Elizabeth Penrose, Janette Patterson Schafer, Jodi Shulick, and Diane Turnshek. William, Marissa, and I are going to the Astronomy talk by Diane this Friday, and I found this reading on a website linked to the talk. It was a treat to hear science fiction poextry which also included poetry---some with a social conscience, such as Barton's poem "Why do they go back?" An appreciative audience of 30-40 was present for all the readings.
Three additional poets read at the end of the planned program; including Barton's mom, and (by invitation) me. I performed a "warm-up" poem which I had written this month, then performed a reading of my poem for the Philippine Nationality Room. Afterwards, positive comments were shared with me about my use of movement and dance while reading poetry. Huang Xiang's dream of making a "New Poetry" that includes art, dance, and music is becoming a reality through him and his fellow poets.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home