Jubilee Kitchen
I was speaking with a fellow passenger on the bus from downtown to Oakland after our group (Cecelia, Yvonne, Jonathan, Jose, Jeff, and I) attended August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean Friday night. We both agreed that the Jubilee Kitchen is a great place.
Saturday morning, I was volunteering with a church group at Jubilee Kitchen. In walked my bus-rider friend. A call-and-response followed:
P: Nuh-Unh!
me: Yeah-Hunh!
P: Nuh-Unh!
me: Yeah-Hunh!
P: Nuh-Unh!
me: Yeah-Hunh!
P (incredulously): I just saw you last night!
me: I know. You were just talking about Jubilee!
P: Yeah, isn't this place great? And look, you work here!
me: It's a small world, isn't it?
P, my bus rider friend, was telling me on the bus that she had been clean and sober for four years. "That's a long time," I said. "Congratulations. That's not easy."
The rules posted on the wall at Jubilee reflect those values:
1. No Alcohol
2. No Smoking
3. No Violence
4. Everyone Must Be
Seated While Eating
Only Staff Behind
The Counter

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home