Thursday, June 01, 2006

Visiting Joyce's Family in Palo Alto 2006

Yesterday I took a direct USAirways flight to SFO. My seat partners were a faculty member from UCBerkeley and an elected Pennsylvania state official, Bob Casey, Jr.. My brother-in-law Greg picked me up from the airport (spotted by my bright poncho) and we went to Benny's school, where Joyce was volunteering for the day. I met Teacher Judy, Benny's instructor. I joined Benny in linking magnet trains, and we were soon joined by at least half a dozen other children.

Greg and I later had a discussion about how playing with the children in Benny's class almost always results in becoming a celebrity for the day...being surrounded by children immediately, like a magnet. I think it's the way children welcome a newcomer, and wonder if they do the same for one of their own age.

We went to Miranda's school, where Benny and Miranda greeted each other by twirling around the same pole at school--until untug! Miranda hit her head on the concrete. Tears and a relay race to the office for ice ensued, followed by naptime at their home, which I haven't visited until yesterday. After naptime, Joyce gave me a tour of her house, we picked strawberries from their backyard, and we hung the wind chime she and Miranda had made earlier. Miranda and I read for a while, then we played and read books with Benny before Greg returned from work.

Dinner was pot roast, rice, and green beans with a walk to the ice cream store after dinner. Miranda and I read three fairy stories before bedtime, sang the "Goodnight" Song, then said our regular prayers, where our sole intention was for Miranda's best friend Jason and his family.

Greg and I chatted as he prepared their lunches for tomorrow, and Joyce returned with a report about the Preschool Family Meeting. It was a full day, ending around 9pm Pacific time (PDT).

So, I've been up for about an hour, since before dawn today (~5am). The house is quiet, the birds then began singing: First a single bird, then presently joined by various bird songs.

I realize what I miss from the Bay Area from our day: I saw at Miranda's school a large crow; and in their neighborhood there are yards filled with jasmine (my favorite flower from the UC Berkeley campus), with a similar scent as sampaguita. I also noticed the eucalyptus gently changing color as we drove along the freeway and on the main thoroughfares of Palo Alto. What a pleasant welcome by the flora and fauna of the San Francisco Bay area for my first day this visit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home