Paki patay ang ilaw
or, "please turn off the light" in Tagalog. I guess--in my limited knowledge of Tagalog--- that would be "please extinguish the light." It would NOT be "please extinguish the [flame]," nor the opposite of "to light up," nor "please extinguish [your] cigarette." I had to ask Mom about that word..."paki patay ang sigarilyo."
Last night, I had a discussion with Paulette (and have had prior discussions with my smoking friends) about how nicotine is more addictive than hard street substances. "You have to treat it as an addiction," I told Paulette, "It's not easy to quit." She confessed that she had been smoking since she was very young and that EVERYONE around her smoked...I indicated that there are medications to help people to quit...I have another friend who used to smoke. She now has trouble breathing. "They lied to us [about the dangers of smoking]," she intoned to me.
Labels: addiction, languages, light, Philippines

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home