my current work
My current work has echoes of what I thought I would do as a seventeen year old. I recall from an interview in high school that I said I would like to be a lawyer or a scientist.
When asked as a chemistry major in college what I would like to do, I said that I would like to be a professor at a small women's college.
When queried by Bob, my graduate advisor, before starting my graduate program about what I would like to do with my graduate degree, I said that I would like to teach--not necessarily in a traditional environment, but maybe at a science museum.
I have done all but be a lawyer and a tenure-track professor at a small women's college.
It's funny how life brings you to places. I've become the woman I used to informational interview. I am the exception to the rule. I've come full circle to review the dreams, live the dreams, and revel in the dreams of that young seventeen-year-old student in the Mid-Ohio Valley. I am blessed to have those dreams---to have lived those dreams.
Mom has said to her siblings at Grandma's funeral that "if [grandma] didn't have all [eight] of us kids, she would have been a Supreme Court justice." My grandma definitely had it in her to have lived that dream. So, part of me smiles inside and part of me cheers my brother on when he shares his dreams for Beatrice with us.
Labels: Beatrice, dreams, Grandma, Marietta, science, thankfulness, Wellesley, work

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home