Happy Campers
"Attention all campers!..." Does anyone remember a book entitled From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler ? This book was the basis of many Camp-In programs at various museums across our great country. I was fortunate to have been the co-coordinator of a CI-3 (one of the top 3 Camp-In programs nationwide) program on the East Coast. I've also attended Soils Science 105 (a course then taught jointly through the University of California, Davis and Berkeley campuses), and was a key researcher on several remote field trips I co-organized with NASA, the University of California at Riverside, and CICESE in Baja California. If not a happy camper, I was an organized camper...
Were all campers during my grown-up camping experiences happy campers? I must say that most were. However, the children and adults during Camp-Ins weren't always happy campers, and it was a challenge as my job as coordinator to ensure a happy camping experience. I'd like to think that most everyone who entered the museum portals for a weekend Camp-In experience exited with a good experience (albeit less sleep).
Camp-In experiences are totally different than childhood sleep-away camp experiences, which the linked article discusses. Camp-In experiences are held indoors; in sometime-familiar surroundings; with other children and adults who are part of your family, class, or youth group; and are heavily programmed by the education department of the museum; thus, basically ensuring a positive experience.
Good camp experiences stick with you---I saw it in Fr. Tom, when he delivered his last homily as Parochial Vicar of St. Paul Cathedral. He spoke of leaving the campsite better than when you arrived. Wait, good camp experiences transform you.
Is it time to pack up and go camping yet?
Labels: camping, children, Church, excited, museum, organizing, read, science, St. Paul Cathedral, student, work

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home