Lost My Voice; Ken Danchik at Heinz Chapel
This week I lost my voice--one of my students, H, noticed my voice sounded different at the beginning of Thursday afternoon, and by the end of class I was losing my voice. I did not sing in choir today. Some people attributed my getting ill/feeling under the weather to my getting my flu shot this Tuesday, but Mom indicated that if people are getting sick so soon after the inoculation, they had probably been incubating/harboring that illness before.
It was a treat to hear the choir sing from the congregation side. They sang Locus Iste for the 102nd year of the dedication of this Cathedral building. I mouthed the words for all the prayers and songs.
Nancy, Ornella and her friend, and Christof, from choir; and Jeff, the Eucharistic Minister; and I dined outside amidst the slightly gusty and brightly sunny tables outside Kiva Han for lunch. Everyone but Nancy and I departed for work, and Nancy and I headed to Ken Danchik's organ concert at Heinz Chapel. He, of course, played Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, along with other, secular pieces in his recital, including some pieces by Langlais. We sat with Mary Pat and Betty. We saw Lisa, Emily, Liz, and John; Andrew, Don, and Dan, as well as Ken's former organ instructor.
The program consisted of:
Prelude and Trumpetings (Myron Roberts)
American Suite--Boys Town, Place of Peace; Scherzo-Cats; Big Texas (Jean Langlais)
Toccata and Fugue in D minor (J.S. Bach)
The Suspended Garden (Jean Alain)
Litanies (Jean Alain)
God of the Expanding Universe (Richard Feliciano)
Purcell Portraits (Joseph Wilcox Jenkins)
Omnes Sancti (Joseph Wilcox Jenkins)
Labels: Bach, Choir, dining, friends, music, organ, Pittsburgh, St. Paul Cathedral, voice

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home