2009 Conference of Roman Catholic Cathedral Musicians
After work Thursday I helped mom with travel insurance issues on the computer. Then, at five o'clock, I stopped by St. Paul Cathedral to hear an informal concert by the Heinz Chapel Choir. I heard two pieces from a distance, then moved closer to the choir to hear excerpts from their concert for the 2008 Holiday Season:
Jesus, the Light of the World (American folk hymn, arr. G.D. Elderkin)
Hymn to Mary (Icelandic, Sigurbjornsson)
O Filii et Filiae (German, Leising/Quaid & Leninger)
Carol of the Bells (Ukrainian, Leontovich/ Wilhousky)
Jesus Christ, The Apple Tree (English, Poston)
Mary Had a Baby (Spritual, arr. C. Courtney)
I spotted Don, Judi, and Joe listening to the choir. One of my former students is in the choir and said that they sounded better than on the 25th of November 2008, when we heard them last. We spoke administrative stuff, and I chatted with a couple more CRCCM conference attendees, then stopped by Mom and Dad's place before returning for the University of Pittsburgh Men's Glee Club concert at six forty-five.
The men sang a Mass from the loft: The Gloria was particularly moving. Next, O Magnum Mysterium/Silent Night was sung. The group moved to the front, in front of the Communion rail to sing The Night Before Christmas/Chopsticks at faster and faster tempi, then Holly Jolly Christmas (Rock).
~~~~~
William and Beatrice called that night, and we asked Beata:
"Who had a birthday?"
Mama!
"What did you eat?"
Ice cream!
"What flavor?"
Vanilla...[She also had cake]
"What flavor?"
Talk-a-let!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home