Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Thoughts on Commencement 2009

I was particularly taken by a certain part of this year's commencement speech given by my classmate, Kim Dozier. She stated,

"I talk to...people about what it is like to be injured and recover. I talk about getting out of the injured box. When you are injured, everyone just remembers that you’re broken. They don’t remember that you healed. They don’t know how hard you fought to become whole again. They think of you as a victim, not a survivor."

As I prepare for my surgery, I focus on the hopefulness of my condition...that I will soon (within two months) be dancing again. The fear creeps in occasionally, but I fight it back by staying busy, focusing on the needs of others, and by doing things like getting blessed in preparation for my surgery (by Fr. Breier after lectoring at Mass for Grandma today).

~~~
By the by, Don played "Ubi Caritas" during the preparation of gifts during Mass today. I particularly like that hymn.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home