Sa Chen at the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
This afternoon Mom and I went shopping across the Highland Park Bridge and had dinner at Taco Bell.
Tonight was Jeff M's first jaunt to a Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra performance. And what a night to go! Manfred Honeck directed a program with twenty-nine-year-old Sa Chen at the piano, playing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No.1---Ms. Chen was stunningly brilliant in her interpretation, as evident from the first movement forward. After she played an encore, I met the featured artist at intermission, being within the first ten people to meet with her. Jeff, meanwhile, chatted with Matt H. and Lisa on the sidelines. I joined them and met Lisa.
The second half of the program was predominantly Strauss Family waltzes and polkas. I recognized those *ed pieces below:
*Fruhlingsstimmen (Voices of Spring)
Frauenherz (A Woman's Heart)
*Tritsch-Tratsch (Chit-Chat) Polka
*Annen-Polka
Wein, Weib, und Gesang (Wine, Women, and Song) Waltz
Eljen a Magyar! (Hail, Hungary!)
Pizzicato-Polka Op. 464
Agyptischer Marsch (Egyptian March)
Unter Donner und Blitz (Thunder and Lightning) Polka
The PSO played three encores, including a recursive/repetitive piece, the Anvil chorus (with accompanying humorous visuals), and the Radetsky march.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home