Monday, December 05, 2011

A Catholic View of the Occupy Movement

Dad provided me transportation to the Newman Center to carpool with Kevin, Tom, and Ruth to Saturday's Truth on Tap at Gullifty's. Most of us enjoyed desserts, and some of us enjoyed appetizers, beers or other drinks, and entrees. Fr. Josh organized the event, and Damon McGraw, a PhD candidate at Notre Dame University who is studying at the Newman Institute, spoke on "A Catholic View of the Occupy Movement" and led the post-talk discussion.

Damon spoke on Catholic Social Teaching, the Pontifical Council of Justice and Peace, How CST addresses the issues of social and economic inequality and government policies related to these issues, and basic Catholic theological principles. I think the discussion that started with one grad student (asking, "If I have two cloaks, and I give one to someone who has none, and they burn it, what do I do?") and led to the discussion of the Pater Noster (line, "forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors,") fueled a dessert mate to state to everyone at our end of the table that we all live in excess.

I'd like to think that I try to live within my modest means, which makes me content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home