Easter Sunday 2014, Entering grades into a spreadsheet and reporting grades
At about eleven yesterday morning I entered the Cathedral at the front steps. The steps closest to the building were peppered with mall groups of people waiting for the ten o'clock Mass to end and the noon Mass to begin. The narthex and the vestibule holding the loft steps were crowded with standing room only attendants of the Mass, and Communion was being given...by the time I reached the loft I could see that the orderly procession of Communion had not yet reached the aisle perpendicular to the nave that runs to the new addition to the building. Don was in the loft, singing and playing the Beckerath organ, and Christina was cantoring, below.
After practicing with the brass and tympani (and organ, of course), Mass started at noon with Fr. Mike Roche celebrating.
Musical selections included those by the choir, which were:
Entrance hymn, Jesus Christ is Risen today (Easter Hymn)
Festal Gloria (Don Fellows)
Psalm 118 This is the Day (French Carol)
Easter Alleluia sequence, led by cantatrice Linda (Victimae Paschali Laudes, A. C. Dohms)
Gospel Acclamation, Good News Acclamation (James Chepponis)
Sprinkling Rite, Springs of water
Preparation of Gifts, Hallelujah! from Mount of Olives (Ludwig van Beethoven)
Eucharistic Acclamations Community Mass (Richard Proulx, after the Deutsche Messe, Schubert)
Agnus Dei (Chant)
Communion: Be Known to Us, Lord Jesus (Carl Schalk)
Hallelujah! from Messiah (George F. Handel)
Blessing/Dismissal, Thanks be to God, Alleluia
Recessional Hymn: Christ the Lord is Risen Today (Llanfair)
Postlude (played by Don and Ken at the ten and noon Masses, respectively) Toccata, Symphony V (C.M. Widor)
Here is the text for the Roman Missal Rite of Renewal of Baptismal Promises:
Springs of water bless the Lord
Praise and exalt him above all forever
Alleluia (3x)
When I reached the foot of the loft steps, there was a mother with her son, who couldn't have been more than five years old. He looked absolutely rapt, and his mom explained to me, "He just loves the choir." I bent down and said to him, "Maybe someday you'll come upstairs and sing with us."
Mom, Dad, and I went for Japanese buffet in the North Hills. The Victoria family was there, too. The food was delicious, and we all took a nap after we returned home.
I added two sections of final exam grades (and rechecked the addition for each exam), entered them in my paper gradesheet, double-checked the numbers, then entered them in my electronic gradesheet. Then it was time to sleep.
~~~
I finished adding and checking, entering, etc. (treated as yesterday's sections) the last two sections of classes. Then it was time to update the four grade sheets, and report the means of final exams and means of grades for each section/ class to my subdepartment on campus....all between seven and noon this morning, well before the Wednesday deadline. Our grading meeting will be Friday afternoon, after which we can post grades.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home