Saturday, May 10, 2014

Friday- Art Supplies, Bakery runs with Maureen, Carnegie Science Center Science Awards

Friday I slept in to about 8.30 AM.  I went for errands to Human Resources and for art supplies (at a location in Oakland and one in South Side).  Maureen dropped me off in the South Side after we went for bakery runs in Lawrenceville and in Oakland.  In the afternoon, I went to Mom and Dad's to help them with correspondence, etc. before BeaBea and Solomon came over...

William, Marissa, and I went to the Carnegie Music Hall for the Carnegie Science Center Science Awards, and met Debbie there.  One of the first people we ran into was Linda O of the science center.  We had much fun strolling to dine and to browse the silent auction.  Deb and I sat in the front row of the Music Hall for the presentation of awards.  What a difference from when I worked at the Carnegie Institute.  There was a large screen upon which were projected the images of the presenters and awardees, and video snippets of their saying autobiographical statements.    William and Marissa ducked out early to bring the children home for bedtime.  AS Debbie and I exited the Hall, we congratulated Rishi M,, of Fox Chapel High School, who had won the student Senior Division Science Award, and Taylor C., of Carnegie Mellon University, who won the Uni Student Award.
Upon emerging, Debbie and I enjoyed small---yet powerful---desserts, and agreed that the chocolate bread pudding in the espresso cups were the best one.  ("Like I died and went to Heaven," I stated, "and they fed me this.   What have I been eating before that purports to be bread pudding?"  I deadpanned.)  Shortly after we had found the night's Designated Dessert, we were joined by a family whose youngest son, Dilan, of PA Cyber Charter School, had won the Elementary Division Science Project award for Water Purification Techniques, and whose older son had won an award last year on Electrical Conductivity of Soils. The younger boy loves chemistry.  We wished them luck, and gently reminded them of Mother's Day as we departed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home