Catholic Women's Conference 2016
This morning I arose early to catch the bus from the local high school to the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh's Catholic Women's Conference 2016, "Women Alive! In God's Mercy."
Carmella K and Cecile S also caught the bus at that stop location. Sr. Maria H was our bus wrangler, with Ray being our bus driver. I assisted him, upon Carmella's prodding, when we passed Phyllis' neighborhood.
We arrived in time to get a continental breakfast downstairs, then catch the end of the opening prayer with Bishop David Zubik.
Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Juba, South Sudan addressed us. She was a Time Magazine 2014 "World's most influential person," and has won the CNN hero award. She has been interviewed by Charlie Rose and Stephen Colbert and the subject of a book and documentary "Sewing Hope." She is one BRAVE woman, to stand up against rebels!
After a short break (during which I said hello to Christina, Michael, and his dad, and bought a St. Michael medal/ prayer card combo), Helen Alvare, a professor at George Mason University, spoke to us of her concerns of family law, and of law and religion. She spoke of how the many recent sexual freedoms beg the question of diminishment of a culture (and morality).
Our little lunch group of Cecile, Carmella, Nancy H, and I went downstairs to retrieve box lunches for the first of two lunch shifts. We sat with a mother-daughter team at our table. Carmella and I went to the grotto, similar to one at Lourdes or Fatima to offer some prayers to Mary, then visited the beautiful chapel. Carmella and I were struck by the beauty of it, and we discussed the beautiful monstrance, as well. There was some time for a short break (when I said hi to Dra. Ala and her sister Marietta, as well as Kristin), and then time to hear Rebecca Dussault speak.
Rebecca Dussault is a Catholic former Olympian skier and mother who addressed our group. She spoke to the religion of sport, and how it is a place for mission work.
Next was Mass with Bishop David Zubik, two additional priests, servers, Eucharistic Ministers, and Station XII (a six-piece praise and worship musical group). We celebrated the Fourth Sunday of Easter. Then, it was time to board bus #1 and head back to Oakland and Homewood.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home