Wednesday, August 03, 2016

WED- Bible Study, Bea Bea and Solomon visit (with WIliam), Novena

WED- Today, Mom, Dad, and I went to Bible Study in the morning.  There were twenty-two of us, including Fr. Paul who led the meeting, and Fr. Mike, who facilitated it.  The readings were:

Wis 18:6-9
Heb 11:1-2, 8-19
Gospel Reading:  Lk 12:32-48

When we discussed the first reading,
1.  Someone asked if this were describing times before the Exodus from Egypt.  I said re:  the last line of the passage that it included the times before the Exodus because the first Passover had them painting the lintels of their doors with the blood of the lamb.
2.  one man asked how this Old Testament reading foreshadowed the second New Testament reading or the Gospel.  Karina had some good ideas, and when I spoke I acknowledged them, as well as Fr. Mike's statement of Joseph living all by "God's Will."  I also added that line 2 of the reading mentioned the faith of the Israelites, as did the penultimate and last line mentioned their faithful behavior.
3.  Fr. Mike mentioned a show he had heard on NPR in which a novelist said that writing a novel is like driving at night---one can see only a limited distance ahead.  One can only see a small distance into the future, but you get to your destination (the end of the novel) eventually. 

He likened that to St. Philip's wonder-working words when we discussed the Gospel.

I had the honor of proclaiming the Word for the second reading.  I particularly like Hebrews 11:11-12, with chapter 11:12 coming from [11:12] Gn 15:5; 22:17; 32:13; Ex 32:13; Dt 10:22; Dn 3:36.
It resonates with me, regarding my particular calling in life.
We then read the Gospel reading, and discussed all the readings.

The Gospel reading sparked plenteous discussion.  Dorothy noted that (from a few weeks ago) that our earthly treasures/ wealth are not ours personally....the things of the heart are what is important.  Fr. Mike noted that one does not know the hour (and, thus, must be vigilant), and it is all for God's will (now, that's the Big Picture).  He mentioned St. Philip's wonder-working words, too. ("...and then what?"...Sometimes what's at the end needs to be at the forefront of one's life's agenda.)

But a particularly memorable quote from our discussion is that of Karina S:  "You cook in Hell:  You're Done!"

______

Bea Bea and Solomon came over for lunch, and stayed until dinner with Lolo, Lola, their daddy, and me.  We also watched American Ninja Warrior and Bea Bea shared her newest Scratch programs with me.  We stayed on the computer and watched the Beatles perform; kids, teens, and elders reacting to various things;  the annoying Orange; and a multilingual version of "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen.
Then, it was time for dinner---mussels in garlic and ginger sauce, rock shrimp, rice, etc.

I said my farewells to them, then found a seat at the Cathedral for the Novena for our Lady of Perpetual Help.  Fr. Adam V and Seminarian Tom G served, as well as Don, who provided music ministry from the loft. 
We sang an opening hymn (Salve Regina), during Veneration of the Icon, Tantum Ergo Sacramentum, and (#614) from the Worship Hymnal.
Dad had driven them home, so Mom and I loaded the knee walker/ getalong into the trunk and hopped a ride with Dad.
Today was my first day with Official Partial Weight (50 pounds!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home