Monday, October 17, 2005

Midterms Week

This past week was midterms/practical week for my laboratory sections. Wednesday, I gave tests from 9am-~3:30pm, with a 1/2 hour break in between. Thursday, I was administering tests from 3pm until ~8:15pm. I was so glad to have a break of a show at the O'Reilly on Wednesday and choir practice Thursday night.

Tuesday night was a Philippine Nationality Room committee meeting. I read a poem (which I wrote last year for the PNR) to the committee. They expressed their appreciation, and I was glad to have people other than my family and close friend read it, too.

I didn't plan it this way, but I have had a lot of breaks from grading this weekend. Friday I went to the Handspring Puppet Company of South Africa and Bambara of Mali. The production was Tall Horse, and it was based on a true story of a giraffe's transport from the Viceroy of Egypt to the King of France. The puppets and their production was magnificent, with the star of the show being a two-man, 1.5 story puppet of a graceful, soaring, long-necked giraffe.

Saturday, William and I went to celebrate the opening of the Pacificos' store downtown on Forbes between Wood and Smithfield. Good food was served and shared, including pancit, lumpia, longanisa, chicken legs, leche flan, and Magnolia ice cream. You can always depend on good food for a Filipino gathering. Afterwards, I went to the Omayra Amaya Flamenco Dance Company. Omayra Amaya is the grandniece of a famous flamenco dancer, Carmen Amaya; and her roots were obvious when she danced. The company consisted of her and another dancer, as well as singers and a guitarist.

Sunday, after singing at noon Mass, I went to a meeting for Parish Pastoral Council; a party for the Deaf Awareness Society (where I learned how to sign 'chemistry,") where I met some great people and learned a fun party game. William, Mom, Dad, and I went to Attack Theater's production of Games of Steel (see photo).
It involved live music and wonderful set props--including ironworks and a seesaw-like prop that also rotated around the fulcrum like a helicopter propeller. The dancers were all gracefully athletic and we enjoyed the production.

Needless to say, I've been grading in between attending these productions, and am still grading now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home