Monday, March 27, 2006

Edgewood Symphony Orchestra

Saturday, I heard the Edgewood Symphony Orchestra perform in Levy Auditorium at Rodef Shalom Temple. Donna, a fellow alto in choir and a violinist in the ESO, had invited the choir to the performance. She mentioned that Nicole Myers, a cellist, would be accompanying the ESO. I absolutely LOVE good cello playing and was moved by the Bruch piece, Kol Nidrei, Op.47. Valse Triste (Sibelius) was performed, followed by a brief intermission. Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.5 in E minor finished the program. The third movement, the valse, had familiar themes in it, such as the one Tchaikovsky carried with him for a decade from a young Italian boy's melody he heard from a visit to Firenze. Walter Morales directed the ESO, and Levy Auditorium served as a wonderful space for the ESO's performance, with intimate seating and a soaring ceiling. The tapestries of the Ten Commandments in Hebrew and in English graced the back wall of the auditorium.

On the way out the door, I noticed a brochure of "Music at Rodef Shalom," and noted that Joshua and Joanne will be closing the season. They will be performing on a weeknight, but I hope to attend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home