Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday 2006

Good Friday, 2006--I found myself heading toward the painting exhibit of the Stations of the Cross at the Ryan Catholic Newman Center this morning. Ann Schneider, a local Pittsburgh artist, had made small paintings of the Via Cruz in Jerusalem. Despite the small size of each painting, her use of the colors, their value, and her painterliness make the scenes come alive. As it was late in the week, there were few explanatory brochures left; my friend Roz had one from a prior visit of the exhibit, and I accompanied her as we read the descriptions of each Station.

I had a brief meeting with a student at work this morning, then headed home to drop my backpack off and clean-up and change to sing for the 1:30 Good Friday Service. The Seven Last Words of Christ at noon was attended by Dad (for he participated in the television ministry), who stayed for part of the 1:30 service, veneration of the cross, and Communion. Mom watched all from home. The Good Friday service was led by Bishop Donald Wuerl, and contained a lot more periods of silence than most High Masses.

We had visitors in the choir loft today, among them Karen's family members and Geoff's family.

I called Wawa at work to wish him a "Happy Birthday," since he and Marissa will be away for the weekend.

This afternoon, I met some Filipino students at a table in the Towers on the Pitt campus who were advertising the annual Barrio Fiesta tomorrow night. They invited me and my family to attend.

Fasting and abstinence is pretty difficult--only one full meal, and two very small meals, and no meat. Mom had made champorado for brunch(, which was met by my song for it). Mom, Dad, and I were ravenous by the time dinner rolled around. It's just about 24 hours since the beginning of my fast + abstinance day. Can't wait for that little snack....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home