St. Paul's Cathedral Concert Series--Crystal Strings, Daphne Alderson, Donald K. Fellows
Yesterday afternoon, the St. Paul's Cathedral Concert Series featured music by the Crystal Strings, Daphne Alderson, and Donald K. Fellows. The Crystal Strings played Haydn's The Seven Words of our Savior on the Cross . The group sounded wonderful together, performing the seasonal piece in a space meant for the work. I felt that Haydn could have written the piece with more dramatic dynamics, given the subject matter of the work. During a brief interval, I chatted with my neighbors Elaine J. and Mary Lou P. After the break, Daphne Alderson, a gifted contralto, was accompanied by the Crystal Strings and the Cathedral's own Don Fellows on organ to perform Vivaldi's Stabat Mater , which describes Mary's maternal vigil at Christ's crucifixion. Ms. Alderson's rich, emotive voice was well-accompanied by the quartet and Mr. Fellows's organ playing. The group performed well together, and were received by a standing ovation.
I mused to my neighbor Tina W. as we crossed the busy street after the concert that I was somewhat thankful that I was not fluent in Latin, as the words were quite sadly depressing---The emotive performance, along with words in a language with which I am familiar, would have caused me to weep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home