Thursday, August 03, 2006

Laundry

Tonight, while stopping by Mom and Dad's, I ran into one of their neighbors, bearing laundry.

me: I know where you're going!
he: Is it that much of a give-away?
me: Laundry......The great equalizer.
he: That's why I like doing it....It's very humbling.


I remember, not too long ago, working full-time while going to school half-time. I was sooo busy that doing my laundry was my vacation.

I used to detest doing laundry, now I find the swirling water and tumbling clothes to be relaxing; you really don't have to think much when doing laundry..just sort it and pop it in the machines, and there you have it.

I recall my last trip to Europe, meeting a conductor on a sunny, summer train platform who was looking forward to crossing the border..."I'll be so glad to do my laundry by myself again. I just don't like the idea of someone else handling my clothes," he confessed, with relief.

When Miranda was a baby, she and Joyce used to deposit the clean, warm laundry on the bed (fresh from the dryer) and sing out, "Laundry! Laundry!" whilst tossing the clean laundry into the air, to have it land back on them and the bed.

Doing laundry is rather fun--I think I'll do some before another week is up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home