The Gin Game
Tonight, I travelled with Rita d. and Jane downtown to the O'Reilly Theater to see The Gin Game, by D.L. Coburn and directed by Ted Pappas. I sat with Tina, Joe, and Lou W.
There are only two characters in the play, Weller (played by Ross Bickell) and Fonsia (played by Lois Markle). It's the story of how Fonsi is held hostage by a game of gin rummy on a dilapidated porch at a retirement home (as I explained to Tina half-way through the show, and as was explained to us by Fonsi herself soon after). The production is engaging and not written for younger audiences--it has Mametesque language.
After the show, we enjoyed frozen custard at Rita's on Fifth Avenue.
~~
Joe called to point out that the "Grace Avenue choir" voices that sang in the background of the set were from St. Paul Cathedral Choir, with special thanks to Don, Judi, Kelly, Jonathan, Karen, Jessica, and "members of St. Paul Cathedral Choir"! What a treat!
Labels: Choir, Pittsburgh, St. Paul Cathedral, theater

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home