Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Shift

The Shift movie link was sent to me by Laura. When I went to graduate school over a dozen years ago, we sat around the campfire at one of our field sites and mi asessor di NASA, Oliver, spoke about how many scientists were talking about this or that paradigm. We spoke of paradigm shifts---this is what the Shift movie describes; that is the science that movies such as An Inconvenient Truth introduce to the general public.

Such a simple idea that my research group worked on---obtain ground-truthed signatures of reflectance of heterogeneous mixtures on the Earth's surface, and try to relate them to geomorphic features and parent rock types...and try to tell the current and changing story of the Earth's surface...Born from an idea I had when visiting Mont St. Victoire. So much of science is dependent on the foci that the administrators have---at the time I was graduated, groups doing Earth-based research at NASA (including my own) were shrinking.

Now, I have a different life: I am teaching predominantly pre-professional undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students the basics of biology. Teaching instead of research: What a different focus, but each is neither less nor more important than the other.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home