Wellesley Alumnae Event, Winter 2008
Madeleine Albright spoke for less than an hour at Heinz Hall tonight. Joe W. and I took the bus downtown and sat in the front center of the directors circle. She spoke about issues that the next president will need to focus on: terrorism and the Middle East, nuclear proliferation, global warming, and the difficulty of global democracy. She spent the rest of the time (over an hour) addressing questions from the audience.
She told an airport security story, after which we all laughed, told how Condoleeza Rice was a student of her father's in Denver, talked about the "ABC" policy of the Bush administration, and told stories of her visits to Kosovo and Mongolia. She addressed the questions of a mother of three by recalling her learning Russian after her preemie twins were born. She was, as Joe put it, "Incredibly normal," and as I put it, incredibly knowledgeable of a wide range of topics and incredibly down-to-earth. I had brought my Wellesley banner and waved it after her talk, when she was presented with a "Terrible Towel" since the Steelers had sponsored her talk tonight.
I commented to Joe that he and Tina and my parents and I would have a lot to talk about this evening.
Labels: international culture, languages, Pittsburgh, travel, Wellesley

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home