Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring Forward (Ahead of Time)

I awoke about an hour ago to work on personal paperwork on the computer.

Yesterday after lunch dropped the car off for inspection, repairs, etc. New brakes, brake sensors, windshield washer pump, and lightbulbs for the dashboard were done. Then I picked up the car at about 16.00, picking up William from work for a late lunch/early dinner. We drove to the fish fry uptown next to the Civic Arena (soon to be gone for a newer arena). We enjoyed a fish dinner and mac & cheese, and he brought an order of pierogies for Marissa and the children.

I dropped him off at home, proceeded to TJ's for groceries, then went home to change before heading off to the symphony with Maureen and Karina (meeting Nancy there). We were all in good spirits, and the program was

Classic Tales
Gianandrea Noseda, conductor
Benjamin Hochman, piano

The PSO played
G. Rossini La Cenerentola, Overture
W. A. Mozart Concerto No. 19 in F Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 459
(with Mr. Hochman)

~Intermission~

P.I. Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 3 in D major, Op. 29 "Polish"

Mr. Noseda literally danced when conducting: Predominantly lyrical dancing, with some "popping"-type moves occasionally. He was a joy to watch.

Mr. Hochman was light and delightful with the Mozart piece. A standing ovation ensued, and he played a solo encore. Andres Cardenes joined the PSO for the last piece, Tchaikovsky's only symphony written in a major key.

We all retired to the Greek restaurant across from the Renaissance Hotel and Byham. Nancy and I each enjoyed a plate of Greek food and salad, my main dish being the phyllo-enrobed lamb, exohito. Maureen and Karina both enjoyed desserts.
~~~
About the heading on this post:
Yesterday I set my clocks in my bedroom ahead, so that I can practice "Spring Forward" daylight savings time a day ahead. Thus, "springing forwards ahead." That does not, of course, preclude the fact that I'm slightly tired right now....

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home