Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Fire Alarm at Work Today

Just as I was preparing to discuss safety issues in work today, the fire alarm went off.  A moment before, my colleague and I had both gesticulated that we smelled something, across the glass-paneled doors in the hallways.  My students at one end of the classroom had been noticing an off-odor.

"Take your jackets," I directed them, "We'll meet in Ruskin parking lot."  I retrieved my sweater, donned it, locked our classroom door, and followed the students outside, where I took roll call from my roster.  One student handed me a muffler, and another one, a pair of gloves.  We talked about the safety sheet, mentioned the Safety Song, and then followed the other classes to (the warmth of) Alumni Hall.  The student holdings of our building were in the hallway and ballroom of the first floor of Alumni Hall.  I shared the Safety Song with them, directed them to exchange contact information with their lab mates, and introduced myself to them.  I had them introduce themselves to each other, as well.  I spoke with a former student, Sarah P, who is taking a research-based bio-60 equivalent course.  A voice near the east entrance of Alumni Hall told us that it was safe to return to the building; however, when my class reached the entrance, there was a whole class of students who was departing.  They told us we were not to return quite yet, so, continuing to carry my bright yellow folder aloft, I headed back into Alumni Hall and found an alcove with seats for my students.  We discussed potential difficulties with the preLab assignment (no one had any), what a reciprocal cross is used for, definition of a reciprocal cross, and JN (one of the lecture professors) announced that we are expected to be able to return to the building by 10 AM.  I saw one of the workers from my building, we discussed possible cause of the alarm, and the coldness of the weather.  We headed in shortly after.  I gratefully returned the borrowed winter items, and class resumed.  We ended on time, and I handed equipment off to Beckie, the next instructor in my room.

I bundled up, as the wind chill temperature was minus 25.  I went across the street to wait for the bus, and as there was none in sight, decided to brave the walk instead of freezing in position waiting for a bus.  Even with a scarf and my large coat collar flipped up to break the wind, it hurt to breathe.  I was glad to be indoors shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home