Thursday, January 23, 2014

Martin Luther King Week, Wind Chill week

Monday was a warm day (about 40 Fahrenheit)---I went for a walk with Maureen to get my new photo ID card for work.  We walked back to her car, and she gave me a ride to the Union Project, where Marissa and the children were already working with clay.  We each made clay birds.  Then the children read a book and did more storytelling and art.  Marissa and I went upstairs, where we did neighborly activities and met people whom we did not yet know through art, poetry, and conversation.  After meeting three people (Shevaughn, Chris, and Tony), the children came upstairs and we ate a meal of Thanksgiving after a moment of silence.  We also heard an anthem sung a capella and danced---Lift Every Voice and Sing (James Johnson and Rosamund Johnson).

Tuesday was a slick early morning, with a light coating of snow which mixed with rain. I had my five-year check-up with the orthopedic surgeon.  Afterwards, Maureen and I went grocery shopping in the North Hills.  I went to campus and printed out some administrative papers.  Then we did a cut-and-paste party.

Wednesday, I got work done in the morning, finishing three students' recommendation requests this week.  Maureen and I went to the little donuts shop in Oakland, where she picked up a couple dozen for her sisters and Mom.  She dropped me off at Hillman Library, where I printed out papers for my Friday meeting.  I also picked up the movie for which Nico had composed music at the public library, and watched it Wednesday night.

Thursday I had a final talk with B, a health coach, who said I could probably "teach" nutrition now.  I got some work done before office hours, had a snack which morphed into dinner, which morphed into pasta Yum.  During that time I saw an email from Don that choir was cancelled, due to inclement weather.

This week (since Tuesday) has been single-digit Fahrenheit at night, and single-digit wind chill temperatures during the day.  My long johns and ski pants have been my best friends.  I peel them for shorts when I go to Mom and Dad's or home.

Tomorrow is a big day---annual check-up with the doctor, and our Friday meeting.  Quite busy.  And a talk to sit in, if time permits.

Gotta get sleep now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home