Saturday- Gal's Night Out at the PSO
Mom and I donated items on the South Side Saturday (yesterday).
Last night I organized a "gal's night out" at the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. I invited three of my girlfriends to the PSO ( Mijung, Christina, and my coworker Regina). The program was a 4-movement piece called Alternative Energy for Orchestra and Electronica by a Pennsylvanian, Mason Bates, who utilized two Apple computers wired to speakers on either side of the stage to provide electronic sounds. Bates was featured last season as a Composer-In-Residence, and the piece was evocatively picturesque, with visions of everything from cranking an old car to start it, to a Fermilab particle collider. This was followed by a discussion of Bela Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra by the evening's conductor, Michael Francis. He brought the Hungarian composer's work from a personal philosophical statement on folk music into a larger historical political view. After an intermission, the evening ended with the performance of the vigorous Bartok concerto.
I noted to one of my friends/seatmates, a coworker who is also a church organist, that I liked the custom suit of the visiting conductor---very snappy. Regina treated all of us to dessert at Franco's across the street. I had the chocolate cake/ vanilla ice cream roll with ganache.
Mijung spotted the grandson/ grandpa pair from Schenley Plaza at the PSO! She was so taken...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home