Friday, August 21, 2015

Thursday, Friday, Saturday- Meetings, relaxing, fun!

Thursday (yesterday) went to get some annual tests done, went to the library to get some computer printing done, walked home for breakfast, took a short nap, then met up with Joya, my former UTA, for lunch on Forbes Avenue.  We chatted about comparative health care systems in the USA, Tanzania, and the Philippines.  She gave me a gift of a little colorful giraffe--- twiga in Swahili--- and wrote:

The place where your giraffe was handmade is called the Matumaini Centre in Iringa, Tanzania. It was only a 5 minute walk from where I was staying and serves as a women's center and nursery/preschool. They do not have a website but they have a Facebook page:  (https://m.facebook.com/pages/Matumaini-Centre/441601072602626)

For the evening, we had a meeting for the Philippine-American Performing Arts group, and covered a lot in the three+ hours that we met.  It was cool, breezy, and partly cloudy (one could spot the stars) and the Cheshire smile waxing when we departed after dark.

~~~~~
Friday (today) Dad and I joined BB and Solomon after lunch for a visit to the museums.  We all started as part of a led tour group, but ended up as a spin-off to Bonehunter's Quarry and then to a part of the museum that the teen camps were leading activities.  Natalie, one of my former campers from last week, was leading activities.  I spotted Patrick, and took photos of Dad, Patrick, Solomon, and BB enjoying an activity.  We went to the Space Jewelry exhibit in the Hillman Hall of Geology, and then the children played in the Lozziwurm.  After Marissa came to pick them up we headed back, picking up smoothies on the way home.  I took a nap, and then made arrangements for a walk with Stacy.

After dinner Stacy and I went for a visit to her new place, the roof, and as we were  passing the Oratory we ran into Tante Mimi, who made me feel as if I were in the presence of Ste. Therese de Lisieux or Papa Francesco.  After seeing her off at her bus stop, we walked past the Mellon Institute to the Cathedral of Learning ("Let's see it before the crowds show up,") where we met Daniel, and his family Ben and Sue.  We showed them where the Porch is, and then walked back to our side of Oakland, commenting on the great walk---both in the people we met and the weather.  
~~~~~
Saturday, awoke early to Skype-chat with Caroline.  We had a great talk.  She told me about the Americans on a Thalys train between Brussels and Paris who diverted another attack.  I went with Debbie (stopped at the bank, Gaby et Jules pour un peu patisserie, and headed out to her friend's home to puppy-sit and order pizza.  I read a bit, renewed my library book, and watched some Mel Brooks (the 2000-year-old man).  We decided to head back to town.  I took a nap.

Dad and I drove to Little Italy Days.  We walked, hearing three stages of performers' music.  I got us ice cream, Dad had his favorite flavor, I had salted caramel.   We stopped at the grocery store before heading home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home