Happy Holidays! 21 To 30 December 2017
THU 21 DEC 2017- I went to my chiropractic appointment. Also went to Tito Larry's office, where I chatted with Tita Tina & Marietta whilst dropping items off, then went to campus computing to take care of some computer files, etc.
FRI 22 DEC 2017- Went to physical therapy in the morning.
SAT 23 DEC 2017- William's family and I went to visit k and K for Christmas. After passing their town, we doubled back and K kindly gave us directions to the retreat place, as it was very dark and foggy when we arrived at about 22.30.
SUN 24 DEC 2017- Sunday morning was relaxing, with Wa making his Dutch Baby recipe. We all enjoyed the Dutch Baby with various toppings such as locally sourced maple syrup, butter (Irish et al.), and various jams and preserves, including varied berry spreads and fig preserves. Others chilled in the living room. K and k arrived, and BB and S, k and K, and I went to their tree house (Swiss Family Robinson!) with Wa and MM; and to the farm. We had much fun playing with the two dogs, checking out his Dad's workshop, greeting the chicks and roosters, horse, and Hanna the young cow, who gamboled around---just for fun. We ended up chatting with K's dad at their house. After, I sat in the car whilst K went for groceries and cold supplies at the local pharmacy.
K was nice to drive me to Christmas eve Mass, whose music started at 16.30 and officially started at 17.00. Just as we were getting out of the car we saw Lori D, and we sat together with her. There were more Knights of Malta & Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus accompanying this Mass than at many larger parishes (at least 10). The Risen Lord was prominent at the altar, and it was the first time in my memory that I have seen Santa so soon in a church after mass. The priest set it up, though, with his homily discussing a "boy named Nicholas," who grew up to "love God and to love Jesus." Then, near the closing blessing, the priest sat down at the grand piano and played and sang "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." After Mass Mr. and Mrs. Claus processed to the altar, near the Nativity scene, and handed out brown bags of snacks---candy and a large piece of fruit (an apple or orange) for the youngsters.
We stopped for gasoline on the way home, where soon BB was preparing the Buche de Noel (that she and k had baked) for rolling. k applied the mascapone cheese-based white filling to the Yule Log surface. I took a time-elapsed video for the first part of the rolling, and a real-time video for the second half of the rolling (to capture the singing and sounds). Then, it was time for the tricky part---transferring the log from the kitchen towel to the sheet pan for addition of branches and icing with the chocolate ganache.
MON 25 DEC 2017- Before 6.00 S had discovered that Santa had visited us. BB and S had, of course, received socks for Christmas, too, in addition to the two large Sharper Image boxes, laser tag, et al. S received a "Guess What?" T shirt. Everyone who was asked posed dutifully with their presents. BB and k, and K posed with their baked Buche de Noel and onion tart/s.
BB and I made Buttermilk Pancakes a la
all recipes. We all (Wa, MM, S, BB, K and k, and I) enjoyed the
pancakes with various toppings such as locally sourced maple syrup,
butter (Irish et al.), and various jams and preserves, including varied berry spreads and fig preserves.
Soon after k and K arrived and enjoyed pancakes, we had a power outage from ~9.30 until a little before 13.30. K started the turkey ("Christmas"), stuffing (from their homemade croutons and turkey neck stock), and onion tart filling after 13.30. About an hour before dinner the visitors, B and S (K's parents), and R and H (G's parents) arrived and we chatted, caught up, played games, and decorated ugly sweater cookies. As H said, a lot of it is presentation. I felt compelled to present mine against a red towel background. But the playing field was leveled. I stated, "I don't care if I win or not."
We all enjoyed the immense spread---Christmas turkey, various types of potatoes (sweet and savory), several dishes of fixings, a kale dish, homemade cranberry sauce, onion tart, and the star of the evening, the Buche de Noel. We all agreed that it was quite delicious.
TUE 26 DEC 2017-Day after Christmas. Relaxing part of the early day. We packed up the rig and headed to G's place. All to see Kit Kat/ Batty Boop, et al. Saw E and her ward, too. Batty came indoors and greeted the kids, only to come careening down the hill as we were walking down the driveway. It was as if she were saying, "Wait! Wait! I remember you!" She even lay down in front of the car to prevent our departure.
We all eventually drove away and we parted ways with k and K, and got as far as B, only to discover that we forgot something back there. After getting "only" two donuts--sour cream and PB creme with chocolate icing, and an eclair (that was just me!) MM and BB left W, S, and me at Walmart. We soon picked up our journey where we left off (after E left the item at the foot of the driveway), and had dinner of ice cream (I had the kissing cousins sundae, with two scoops of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge and also butterscotch sauces, whipped cream, and a cherry) at Sarris on the way home. It was swirling snow when we arrived in Pittsburgh.
WED 27 DEC 2017- Slow, extremely cold day. Took care of computer stuff and of correspondence. Called JPL, as I was unsure of my status whilst working there.
THU 28 DEC 2017- Spent even more time on hold for Insurance. Resolved some issues and ?
Debbie and I went to the Emporio Meatball Joint for lunch.
She had the 4 Balls with marinara sauce and the potato gnocchi.
I had the beef meatball slider with a side of government cheese mac & cheese.
We shared the special: a pork ball (~ dim sum filling) with spicy Asian sauce. (The last item was free because the Penguins scored 5 points on WED)
For dessert, we went to the Bartram House Bakery.
I got a Chocolate chip cookie and
a salted caramel macaron.
She had a Chocolate caramel dessert bar. Yum!
Before we left, I noted the items on the wall. Debbie looked closely at them, and described them. Quite nice!
FRI 29 DEC 2017- In the morning I took care of correspondence (email). In the afternoon I went shopping and window shopping around Aspinwall. Got groceries at the Waterworks Mall, too. Wow! the high temperature was in the teens...Got some gasoline with a 30 cent per gallon discount.
SAT 30 DEC 2017- puttered around on the computer this morning. Had a light lunch. May go soon for more food.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home