Monday, November 07, 2005

Limon Dance Company

This past Saturday I went to see the Limon Dance Company at the Byham Theatre. Some of the choreography was by Limon, some by Lar Lubovich.

I recall taking a master class back in the late 1980's from someone trained predominantly in the Jose Limon tradition--the class had some contract/release reminiscent of Martha Graham's technique, but stressed muscularity and balance, too.

The choreography that night shared swirling, gentle swooping movements done in unison by company members. There were movements reminiscent of folk dance in the first piece, as well as the Lubovich-choreographed Recordare, which borrowed folkloric costumes, characters, and movements from the Mexican Dia de los Muertos.

There was a medical emergency halfway through the evening in the balcony. I chatted with some of the people seated around me, who were from the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University, both from the main campus and the West Coast campus.

There was a post-performance talk with the artistic director, and audience members had a chance to voice their appreciation for the technical difficulty and artistry of the dancers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home