Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Eve 2006

Yesterday/Christmas Eve 2006 consisted of singing, singing, gifts, and eating.

I started the day off early doing laundry and cleaning. Then, I shopped for wild Canadian salmon; had lunch with Kelly, Mom, and Dad; sang at Mercy Hospital choir; dined again with Mom, Dad, William, Marissa, Kelly (with SANTAtrice, present, of course!), sang with the St. Paul Cathedral choir, and then dined again and waited for midnight to open gifts.

Went to the Iggle (transl.: Market District Giant Eagle) for some salmon to marinate for Christmas dinner.

Mid-morning I received a call from Pat B. saying that Jesse, her dog, had taken ill, and that she could not join up with the choir at Mercy Hospital today. I sang in the soprano section of the choir at Holy Family Chapel, Mercy Hospital, seated next to Teri and Donna. We practiced for about an hour and a quarter and then Dan gave us a break until Mass started. The songs were simply beautiful, and included What Child is This; Hark, the Herald Angels Sing; Ave Maria (Norbet), O Little Town of Bethlehem, Away in a Manger, If Now My Mind was Still. During the Liturgy, O Come, All Ye Faithful, Gloria Deo; the psalm: "All the Ends of the Earth", the Festival Alleluia, Jesu Bambino, Silent Night, and Joy to the World were sung.

SANTAtrice visited our family, and sat on our laps. Kelly told SANTAtrice that she wanted a pony ("that's all")...a pink one. We then had a pleasant dinner during which William and Dad pacified Beatrice, and after which NO ONE opened any presents....("must wait for right time...")

Then, I went to choir. Judi handed me a sprig of live holly ("from Babs") which I pinned to my sweater. How festive! The St. Paul Cathedral choir practiced for about an hour. We presented the prelude music for the Mass, which included Infant Holy, Infant Lowly, Gaudete, and In the Bleak Midwinter (arrangement by H. Darke). Auxiliary Bishop Paul Bradley celebrated Mass, along with other priests including our pastor, Fr. Donald Breier, who has made a fast turnaround within the year with his cancer treatments and is miraculously cancer-free. (Our prayers and his treatments have been fruitful.)

The order of worship Christmas Eve 2006 at Pittsburgh's St. Paul Cathedral included these pieces sung by the choir:

O Come, all Ye Faithful
Gloria from Proulx's Community Mass
Psalm 96
Chepponis's Christmastime Alleluia
Where Shepards Lately Knelt
Acclamations from Proulx's Community Mass
Agnus Dei from Isele's Holy Cross Mass
The First Nowell
Rutter's Christmas Lullaby
Silent Night
Joy to the World

The brass ensemble joined us for various selections, and also played Gabrieli's O Magnum Mysterium as a prelude. Ken played modern variations on Noel Nouvelet by R. Hann, and In dir ist Freude by Bach as a postlude. This year I sang soprano (next to Stephanie, whose son Nathan was an altar server); and brought cards as last year; and brought gifts (from all of us) for Don, Ken, and Judi.

After Mass, the choir remained to see the gifts for Don, Ken, and Judi. The designer iron and bevelled glass lanterns, which Amy and I selected, were appreciated. I met up with Dad, Mom, and Kelly at Dad and Mom's place, where we followed the tradition of eating, and some of us followed tradition with the opening of (some) gifts.

We had various crackers and dips, baked tortilla chips, organic bread, spiral-cut ham, maple sweet potatoes, pineapple, and various sparking juices.

Then, the fun of opening gifts began, with Mom, Dad, and I opening some of our presents--I opened gifts only from my friends--shortly after midnight.

Mom, Kelly, and I caught the schoolyard and lamp scenes of "A Christmas Story," before heading to bed, departing with Kelly on the sofa, dreaming of her pony from SANTAtrice.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 27, 2006 8:34:00 AM, Blogger Ned said...

Hey Grace, thanks for the songlist. Felt like I was almost there--not really, but I can at least hum the songs in my head! Hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your holiday.

 
At Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Hello Ba-Neddee--
I'm glad you could enjoy Christmas with the choir from your computer chair in Zambia. I hope your Christmas was just as enjoyable. (We needed more tenors, FYI.) I look forward to reading about your holiday on your web log.
Ba-Gracie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home