identity crisis--a different list
split personality
swing [vote]
AC/DC
defector (by an alto)
and other names for what other musicians "classify" a mezzo-soprano who sometimes sits in the alto section and sometimes sits with the soprani.
I've been singing in the alto section since Jim Noakes was director of the St. Paul Cathedral Choir. Actually, I started out as a mezzo-soprano when I started singing with Lynn/Linda Smith in Albany, California. Michael was our gifted piano accompanist who could transpose keys of music seemingly instantaneously. At our class's first concert, my kuya shook Linda's hand and said a broad, "Thank you," to her, as she really had taught me how properly to listen to music and properly to warm up my voice. Linda and Bill moved to Washington State to raise their children near their grandparents, and our little singing group continued to meet with Michael. When I moved to Riverside, my research group used to occasionally lock the lab door and sing and dance in the lab [Bob, did you know that?]--many times to Elvis, a favorite of Jodi's.
Well, there's been a hiatus of a few years after Jim Noakes left and I sang in the Oratory choir for a year or two. I went to work full-time and to school half-time, going dancing ~three times a week (at folk, swing, ballroom, and Latin venues)--too busy for singing. I ran into Jonathan and Jonathan (whom I know from the Oratory) during Lent 2005; they asked me to join the choir, and I ended up joining again as an alto in the Cathedral choir, with Don Fellows as the director this time.
Just recently for this last concert and for the practice for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day have I sang with the soprani.
Labels: Choir, list, philosophical

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home