Pre-Op/Post-Op: Antipodes
My pre-operative hip and my post-operative hip are antipodal: The feeling of my pre-operative hip as I approached the surgery day was a feeling that was descriptive of the structure, as is the feeling of the current post-operative structure. That is, the pre-operative hip that lacked an acetabulum (socket part of the ball-and-socket joint structure) often felt loose, and on occasion disjointed. The current post-operative hip feels the exact opposite; its antipode.
It's hard to get used to the constant feeling of the post-operative hip: The constant knowing that there IS a ball-and-socket joint present. Sometimes I would describe the feeling as one I have never experienced before in MY hips: "Stiff." There's a reason for replacing the hip/s, because if everyone was as loose-jointed as I was at the outset, each would be required to stay active to support the underlying bone structure with muscle scaffolding.
I'm thankful for my surgical team and for the physical and occupational therapy I've received thus far.
~~~
Turns out that my friend Jeff also knows my current physical therapist. It's comforting to know others with hip problems have been to him and that he comes highly recommended.
Labels: BAD, exercise, friends, health, philosophical, surgery, thankfulness

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home