Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bakery, St. Anthony's Chapel Reliquary, Pitt Repertory Theatre

Yesterday morning I rose early to grade quizzes. Maureen, Karina, and I went to the DEE-lish bakery in Millvale (Karina and I for the first time). I purchased an almond brioche (and a chocolate croissant for later). Maureen tried my brioche, and I tried her sugar bun. I saw Sara M. and her friend outside the bakery, and she, too, was a first-time customer.

We headed up to the original Pamela's restaurant, and made some small gift purchases at the pharmacy.

We then headed to Troy Hill, where St. Anthony's Chapel---which is the largest reliquary outside of the Vatican---is located. We arrived ~11:30 and enjoyed the space of the expanded chapel through prayer. There was a group of Brides of the Most Blessed Trinity saying the rosary and then saying a chaplet before noon, when a priest blessed religious articles and celebrated Mass with them and with anyone else wishing to participate in the chapel (including us). Maryann, one of the Brides of the Trinity, spoke with us individually about their mission to pray daily for priests, and invited us to join the group, which consists of both laity and religious.

After Mass, we spoke with Sr. Margaret, who invited us to attend a tour at ~1:20pm. (I asked her about the relics of St. Lucy--she replied that one of them is most likely near the BVM statue.) We retreated to the gift shop across the street to purchase medallions and prayer cards, returning in time for the tour.

We waited for a tour group that was to arrive at 13:00 until after 13:30, then started the tour. We sat in the original part of the chapel. We learned that there are liturgical calendars with relics from the various saints, relics from the apostles, St. Theodore's skull, a tooth from St. Anthony of Padua, a part of the BVM's veil, and slivers from the original cross of Christ. After the tour, the various visitors (some from Steubenville, Ohio) venerated the part from the original cross, and it touched our hearts. By this time, it was time for a late lunch, and the bus with the forty people had pulled up in front of the chapel.

We dined (serendipitously) at the Italian restaurant on the North Side of Pittsburgh--we had the Pizza Salsicce with the lean sausage.

~~~~
After a medium-length nap and some more grading, Nancy and I went to the University of Pittsburgh plays: Sister Mary Ignatius Explains it All for You, The Moon Please, and Kuwait. All brilliantly produced and acted.

The U Pitt "Great 8" March Madness team was playing Villanova at the same time--several people were texting or calling friends on their cell phones to get the score. Near the end of the trio of plays we were disappointed to hear that our team had succumbed to March Madness.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home