One of the Rules: "No Chubby Checker"
When I was doing inpatient physical therapy right after surgery this year, I went to a satellite unit (really, a room with tools, toys, and contraptions in another wing of the floor I was staying). The first day there I was quizzed about "The Rules" for hip replacement patients. I rattled them off, without getting rattled:
1./ No angles (less than) 90 degrees whilst seated (angle of femur to hip/lumbar region)
2./ No crossing the midline with your leg
3./ No "Chubby Checker" = No Twisting of the leg!
I reminded Stan, the physical therapist asking me the question, that he had taught me the third rule himself last year. He turned to the younger, "newbie" physical therapist, explaining that I was a "repeater" who he could tell had learned the rules from him.
~~~~~
I'm really looking forward to physical therapy, to get back to higher levels of activity. I told my outpatient physical therapist, K., that I'll see him post-surgery, this time with the "clock" (for hip extention/flexion exercises), my funny term for the machine which caused problems (so!) last summer, due to weight bearing on my then-unoperated hip. Also, I'm looking forward to the water exercises too.
Labels: BAD, exercise, pain, surgery, water exercise

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home