Anne-Sophie Mutter at the Pittsburgh Symphony
Maureen and I braved the snow to go to the Pittsburgh Symphony tonight. We met up at the Student Union to get our tickets and to board the buses to Heinz Hall. Anne-Sophie Mutter accompanied the PSO in Brahms's Concerto in D for violin and orchestra. Manfred Honeck conducted, with Andres Cardenes as concertmaster. Maureen and I recognized the theme in the third (last) movement. Absolutely wonderful, Ms. Mutter's chords were played clearly. A rousing standing ovation ensued, which welcomed her back for a solo encore.
The second half of the evening featured the PSO in Mahler's Symphony No.1 in D major. There was a movement reminiscent of "Where is Thumbkin" or "Frere Jacques." The PSO will take the Mahler Symphony on tour to Carnegie Hall in New York, and further afield. We were pleased to be the hometown audience, and the whooping for the standing ovation showed it.
A post-concert dessert and brief talk by Manfred Honeck (Well, if you have no questions to raise, then, it is time for cake) who asked a very young musician,
Do you play an instrument? Violin, perhaps?
(quietly and shyly) Piano
We rode the buses to Forbes and Craft Avenues, and we all disembarked after asking Annabelle if we could ("If you walk, go carefully.") I was glad that I had my cane, and took photos the whole way home.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home