Reminiscences of Mister Rogers on a Sunday late in May 2017
See this link on Mr. Rogers:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/23/mr-rogers-story-probably-make-you-cry/340111001/
When I was working in the late 1990s at the Pittsburgh Children's Museum (before the initial expansion out of the old Allegheny Post Office building), I met Mister Rogers. At the time I met Fred Rogers, it was within a month of when the travelling Mister Rogers exhibit had launched on its own home turf at our museum. The first couple weeks, we had special visitors (important visitors! such as foundation sponsors) coming and going from meetings on the upper floors of the domed museum. Then, one day, within a month of the exhibit's opening, as I was working on the main floor of the museum, I made my way to the second floor. The second floor of the museum had a few exhibits and an art studio at that time. That particular day, most of the floor, which was usually filled with loud, gleeful children's voices, was unusually quiet. There was a hush. I knew something was going on there. But what?
It was Mister Rogers himself, greeting and chatting with children in the museum. I was surprised and thrilled to see him there. He was the real deal---no bells and whistles, all ears and heart as he quietly spoke to the children. He kindly and gently listened to each child in turn and responded. After the group of children had dissipated, I chatted with him briefly and asked him whether I could have a photo with him. He obliged. My coworker took our photo with my old color film camera.
I am grateful for that opportunity to meet Mister Rogers. His television presence was his true, real personality and character.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home