Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas Week 2006

Christmas Day 2006 started with an early (9am) day at William, Marissa, and Beatrice's home. I helped make monkey bread, and a breakfast veggie sausage casserole was there with squeezed orange juice. Kelly, Mom, and Dad arrived a little later. Since I was rushing to choir, after dining, I was first to open my gifts from my family. As I departed, the family noted that we were so polite and genteel in opening the gifts so carefully and in turn. I sang in choir the noon prelude and Mass. I spent the afternoon at Mom and Dad's.

On Tuesday, the 26th of December 2006, Marissa and I alternated with William babysitting and going out. We went to the Waterworks Mall, returned to their home so William could go to the Apple Store, and then went out again to the Waterfront. The girls and Mom and Dad enjoyed Christmas high tea at my house. In addition to tea, juices, fruits, fruitcake, savory crispies, and homemade cookies; we enjoyed a theme of mint chocolate in the remaining cookies and candies. mMMMmm Delicious. That evening I had a chance to talk for a while about the Ireland trip with my friend Donough.

On Wednesday, the 27th of December 2006, I recorded my show at the radio station, gave a ride home to Joe and Tina, Louise and Dylan. Soon after I met up with Jen to practice our sung carols for Maggie and Ken's wedding prelude. We met her husband Brian at the Carnegie Library, where I picked out CDs and travel books on Ireland, visited with the people in the children's department, and where Brian selected a cookie the size of a face. That evening Charles and I talked about the end of this year...

On Thursday, the 28th of December 2006, I walked to get some bloodwork done as ordered by my primary care physician, then walked to Mom and Dad's for some breakfast, and took a well-deserved nap. As there was no choir rehearsal that evening, Babs invited me for a holiday/Christmas evening on the town. We started by viewing the presepio and trees in Architecture Hall at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History; dined at Phipps and visited the Winter Flower show and the new Thai Rainforest Addition at Phipps Conservatory; listened to a bit of a Christmas program by the East End Kids; then headed to Hartwood Acres for the Eckerd Festival of Lights. What a show! I remember the light displays at Oglebay as a child (back in the day), and how the lights seemed to move then...these lights at Hartwood had finer detail and the themes of scenery were broader than what I recall from the Oglebay lights many moons ago. "There's something for everyone here!" I exclaimed to Babs. "There's Christmas scenes, and Santa scenes, and Hanukkah scenes, and the 12 days of Christmas, and Santa's elves, and Christmas bears, and tunnels of LIGHTS!" We thought it was well worth the 12 miles/one hour wait.

On Friday, the 29th of December 2006, I had an appointment with my specialist physician south of Pittsburgh. I returned, took care of some things at home, then met up with Jen downtown, visited the creche--the only replica of the Vatican creche--then met up with Brian to help set up the reception hall for Maggie and Ken's dinner. The rehearsal at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church started at 6pm. Jen and I had a chance to marvel at the interior of the domed church and the ornate decorations and Christmas decorations, as well as to visit each altar in the building. As usual, the church was festooned in garlands and trees and lights and poinsettias. It was well-appreciated by us. Jen and Brian and I headed to Del's Restaurant for the rehearsal dinner, during which we met coworkers Bob and his wife Sis, and Patty. The food was outstanding, as usual: Pizza, salad, pasta, meatballs, chicken, etc.

Today, Saturday, the 30th of December 2006, I arrived ~an hour and a half before Ken and Maggie's nuptial Mass to practice with the organist, Doris. I explained my situation to Toni, who guided me through the Church building (while the soloist Jody sang) and led me to the choir steps. I entered the loft where Doris and Jodi, who is 28 weeks pregnant, greeted me as soon as the song was over. After introductions, I waited for Jen to arrive, after which we practiced the two carols, Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming and Coventry Carol. We looked around for programs and encountered the bride right before her wedding....The ceremony went smoothly and we marvelled at the view from the choir loft. After greeting them with sparklers, I followed Jen and her parents to the reception site, which held all their family and friends as well as cookie, drink, dip, and snack tables. I saw and chatted with Maggie's friends Donna and Kianna, and Patty, Bob and Sis, and Esther. We took pictures of Jen's family and me, and CAC alumni pictures before enjoying some wedding cake.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home