Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Last week, work and the Boston area; Fall Break the beginning of this week

Last week I taught the first wet lab of DoA, week two.  Wednesday night Julie picked me up from Logan airport, and we took the Big Dig route to her home.  Thursday I had breakfast with her mom as Chloe walked Charlie and Julie left for work.  I took the T (indirectly) to South Station, and the 10.15 Worcester train to Wellesley Square (~10.50 AM).  I said hi to Mala in the Focus, left notes under Ted D's, Bill Q's, and Michael H's doors, walked to the Lulu and the Bookstore, and left a note under Marilyn S's door.  I met with David H's in his office on the Sage side of the Science Center at 13.30.  We had a great chat, with photos of his grandkids, until my 15.00 meeting with Helena Mc just left of the Leaky Beaker.  She and I had a great talk.  I was to meet with Cean @ 16.00, but an emergency came up for her, so I back-tracked, taking the outdoor Green Hall steps to Founders.  I took the 17.37 train back to South Station (arriving at 18.09), then joined Julie and family for dinner by her mom.

Friday, I took the same train out of South Station as Thursday, bought tokens at the Lulu for Saturday's trip to Wellesley, and headed to Bunny's show at the Davis Museum.  I met Bunny at about 12.30, wandered the exhibit, and we enjoyed lunch of fried calamari, vegetable tempura, salad bar, and mixed juices before walking by the lake and past the library and back to her car.  She gave me a ride to the train station, and I caught the 14.46 to 15.19 at Back Bay, where I met up with Michael.  We went to the Farmer's Market, and then to our favorite meeting spots in the Boston Public Library.   We caught up, and talked about family, and the influence of Lalang on that side of the family.  Caught the T back, got my burrito at Bocca Grande, then joined the diners at Julie's home, including Chloe's friend.

Saturday, Julie, her mom, and I dropped Chloe off to warm up before her soccer game.  Us three ladies took Charlie for a visit to the nearby Doggie Park.  We were the Cambridge cheerleaders, and they won handily, 5-3.  We had a nice fellow from the other side take our photo at halftime.  Walked toward the river, and ran into a couple by the Yard (we compared notes of people we knew, and they stated, "It's a Small World," to which I replied, "Yes, it is"), I caught the 12.40 Senate Bus to Wellesley, and got some photos off the Mass Ave. bridge ("Smoots Bridge") of the crew shells preparing for the 15.00 start time of the Head of the Charles.  I got off the first stop at Wellesley, walked through the Lulu (noticing that it was Alumnae Leadership Council) and met Debbie and her three siblings for a walk around Bunny's exhibit.  They left earlier to go to the Bookstore, and I followed them there. I met up with Amy P ('90), who is now into stained glass.  I took the 17.00 bus from campus back to Boston, sitting next to Betsy, who is a senior economics major interested in policy.  Larry arrived later that evening.

Sunday, Larry, Julie, and I took Charlie to the Doggie Park near their home, arriving at 8.45, right before the park stopped being a dogs-run-free park.  I went back with Julie, and went to the Unitarian Universalist First Church of Boston, where she was serving.  I met the day's music director, and told her I appreciated her arrangements of the music.  Turns out she is a Wellesley alumna, and knows people from Belpre.  She also met Julie after the service.  Julie and I had lunch at the Panera on Mass Ave, and she left soon for her meeting.  I finished eating, chatting with some crewtons from Navy, and went late to Bible Study (13.00 for a 12.30 Scripture Study) at St. Paul's Church.  Also, I took photos from the De Wolfe Street Harvard footbridge of the Head of the Charles.  I walked through Harvard Yard and back to Julie's home to pack and prepare for my trip (Larry printed my boarding pass for me, I called for my taxi).  Took a 15-minute nap before dinner, and enjoyed Winnie-the-Pooh's stuffed haycorn squash for dinner, prepared by Julie's mom.

Monday, I called the taxicab company an hour before my pick-up time to ensure timely service.  The cabbie charged an additional $5 than the quoted price.  Chatted with a two women heading to Seoul before TSA opened at 4.30.  Chatted with a woman from Houston at the gate.  Chatted with a fellow from Elizabeth on the plane.  Took the Airport Flyer home.  Went to Mass at the Oratory at 17.15.  Fr. Drew celebrated Mass.

Tuesday, I caught up with sleep more (from that 3.15 cab to my 6.15 flight), and prepared to grade.  Also, went to Mass at the Oratory at 17.15.  Chatted with Bob and Carmella, appreciating Fr. Tim's correspondent work when Papa Francesco visited Washington, DC.  Also spoke to them about special education continuing education needs.  Got to get to grading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home